New regulations regarding the handling of carry-on baggage
To protect you against the new threat of liquid explosives, the European Union (EU)
has adopted new security rules that restrict the amount of liquids that you can
take through security checkpoints. They apply to all passengers departing from airports
in the EU wherever their destination. This means that, at security checkpoints,
you and your hand luggage must be checked for liquids in addition to other prohibited
However, the new rules do not limit the liquids that you can purchase at shops located
beyond the point where you show your boarding pass or on board an aircraft operated
by an EU airline.
The new rules take effect Monday, the 6th of November 2006 at all airports
in the EU, as well as in Norway, Iceland and Switzerland until further notice.
only allowed to take small quantities of liquids in your hand luggage. These liquids
must be in individual containers with a maximum capacity of 100 milliliters each.
You must pack these containers in one transparent, re-sealable plastic bag of not
more than one liter capacity per passenger (see photo).
At the airport
To help screeners detect liquids, you must:
- Present all liquids carried to the screeners at security checkpoints for examination;
- Take off your jacket and/or coat. They will be screened separately while you are
- Remove laptop computers and other large electrical devices from your hand luggage.
They will be screened separately while you are screened.
You can still:
- Pack liquids in bags that you check in – the new rules only affect hand luggage;
- Carry in your hand luggage medicines and dietary requirements, including baby foods,
for use during the trip. You may be asked for proof that they are needed;
- Buy liquids such as drinks and perfumes either in an EU airport shop when located
beyond the Point where you show your boarding pass or on board an aircraft operated
by an EU airline.
If they are sold in a special sealed bag, do not open it before you are screened
– otherwise the contents may be confiscated at the checkpoint. (If you transfer
at an EU airport, do not open the bag before screening at your airport of transfer
or at the last one if you transfer more than once).
All these liquids are additional to the quantities in the re-sealable plastic bag
If you have any doubts, please ask your airline or travel agent prior to traveling.
Please be courteous and cooperate with airport security and airline staff.
- Water and other drinks, soups, syrups.
- Creams, lotions and oils
- Gels, including hair and shower gels
- Contents of pressurized containers, including shaving foam, other foams and deodorants
- Pastes, including toothpaste
- Liquid-solid mixtures
- Any other item of similar consistency
Passengers departing from and within Egyptian airports are kindly asked to adhere
to the above-mentioned regulations, to equip themselves and present the plastic
bag separately from hand luggage to ensure smooth check-in procedures. Plastic bags
20x20 cm, if possible before departing.
Passengers departing from/via UK airports are kindly asked to adhere to the above-mentioned
- Musical instruments in their cases will be permitted in addition to 1 piece of cabin
- Laptops are permitted which will be separately screened.
- Pushchairs/walking aids/wheelchairs are permitted.
- Cabin baggage will be permitted, provided it should be limited with these defined
maximum dimensions: length 58 cm, width of 45 cm and depth of 25 cm (including wheels,
handles, side pockets, etc) all passengers must be x-ray screened.
Passengers departing from /via USA airports are kindly asked to adhere to the above-mentioned
Items that may be carried on the plane in hand luggage:
- A purse (money + credit cards)
- Travel documents
- Prescription medications (only those required for use on the flight)
- Eyeglasses and sunglasses (without the case)
- Contact lenses with a small amount of liquid (without the actual bottle for the
- Equipment for babies: baby food, milk in a baby bottle, diapers, diaper cream
- Products for personal hygiene: tissues, handkerchief, women's personal hygiene products
- Keys, but not electronic keys
- Laptop computer
- Food: sandwich, fruit, vegetables and any product that is not liquid; pencils and
- Cigarettes without a lighter
*All of these items can be stored in the hold of the plane.
- Wheelchairs and walking aids will also be x-rayed.
- Please note: notwithstanding all of the aforementioned checks, other checks may
be made at the boarding gates.
- For duty free items purchased abroad by passengers arriving USA and connecting to
a domestic flight, those passengers have to place those items (liquids/gels) in
their checked baggage upon arrival and before their connecting flight, as the items
will not be allowed to be carried onto their next connecting flight.
- Passengers with continuation flights may purchase duty free products only if they
leave the products in Cairo (tax exempt and stored).
- Products that may not be taken on the plane cannot be purchased on the plane by
passengers who have continuation flights.
- There are no additional restrictions on products that are in luggage in the hold
of the plane.
For more information regarding USA carry-on luggage regulation click here
For more information regarding the EU carry-on luggage regulations click here